Thursday, February 23, 2012

Check! Check! Check!

Well, I think I'm officially settled in!
Here's my new neighbour hood :P

(Clissold Park Cafe/Church Street)



Sorry for being slow at these post things. A lot has happened over the last month or so. Here's all the news! I'll try and divide the posts up a bit, so here's the first one!

In my last post I hoped that in one week I'd have a...

1. Flat
CHECK! (<--that's me standing in front of our new place!) Thanks to John and Andrew, we found a gorgeous, newly renovated, AFFORDABLE place in Stoke Newington! It's a lovely area peppered with vintage shops and cafes and parks. We're in Zone 2 so it's super easy to get around :P








2. Part Time Job

CHECK! (<--Oxford Street, on the way home from an audition) Soooo, two days after we moved in, I woke up and ran about Stokey for a few hours handing out CVs. Then I stopped into Morrisons to pick up some groceries and headed home. On my way back, I noticed a restaurant/pub/venue called Birdcage. It's literally 3 minutes from my flat. So I decided to go in, groceries and all, and drop off my last CV. Basically they offered me a trail shift, and I started work a few days after. I've been working there for over a month now, and I absolutely love it. They make incredible pizzas!!! Seriously. Dominos has nothing on these babies.
The best news about the Birdcage is they have a function room upstairs that they
hire out as a venue for gigs and parties... annnnnnd, they're letting me use it to put on cabarets!!! I've 3 booked so far.

3. Meeting with my Agent

CHECK! (<--see me on the wall!!!) I met with my agent, and I'm ridiculously excited! As you can guess, it's a tough time for theatre artists (well, when isn't it a tough time?) -- primarily because of the economic state of things, and of course the Olympics. See, I figured the Olympics would bring in MORE people to watch shows, but I guess statistically sports goers are less inclined to catch a show, and I guess "they're" predicting a huge loss in the box offices. Unless your name is Cameron MacIntosh, you'd be a fool to produce a show this summer. So, yeah. That's crap. Many shows are closing, tours are ending, and any show that is still running is going to have to drop their ticket prices. It's terrible--the £'s are just not there.

But, in any case, we're working through those challenges, and I'm getting musical theatre and hopefully some commercial auditions. The main thing is to get seen. I've had a few auditions under my belt so far, and I'm reeeeally loving it. I got a call back for one show, and they gave my agent really positive feedback; however, I didn't get the part on account of my accent. Oh well, that's to be expected... I am in England. It's only the beginning. I'm keepin my chin up and hoping for some exciting prospects.

In terms of "normal" work, there are some options coming up. I've been posting ads as an English/Drama tutor, and have had some responses. I've also been looking into after school child care. Recently, I had a trial shift at a place called Shoreditch House -- it's part of SoHo House Group. My fingers are criss crossed inside out, hoping for a job! I'll stay at the BirdCage, I just need additional work. We shall seeeeee we shall see.

So yeah, that's my update! In my spare time I've been working on my showreel, reading, watching Netflix and juggling (like, actual juggling balls). I'll post some progress videos soon :P

X's and Oh's and Wiggle your Toes!

Ruthie




1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are busy and enjoying life! Now to turn the "Check! Check! Check!" into "Cheque!Cheque!Cheque!"
    Keeping you in our prayers!
    xoxox

    ReplyDelete